Skip to main content

I May Be a Full-Time Working, Single Mom . . . But I Could NOT Do This Alone!

I work full time. 
Often times, that work takes me out of state. 
Nowadays, most of my travel consists of 4 or more driving hours per day, and on occasion I find myself shuttling between lovely Midwestern airports. 

The excitement never ceases. . . let me tell you. 

Check out some of my adventures in flying for a good laugh. If I don't laugh about it, I just may cry. 

So blah, blah, blah, lots of travel. Here is the deal. . . before I became a mother, the travel was amazing! 
I traveled all over the world, made some life long friends and experienced things beyond all of my expectations. 

I never would have pictured myself taking a walking tour of Paris on my day off.
(I should dedicate a post to the pics I took on this amazing day)



I never would have imagined that I would be laying on the beach in Oaxaca after doing an event for a bunch of sunburned hairdressers. 
(We couldn't swim because there were thousands of jellyfish)



I never would have known how beautiful Maastricht, Netherlands was, until I walked the cobblestone streets from my INCREDIBLE hotel to our European office. 
(This is quite possibly one of my favorite cities on the planet)


I never thought I would be driving all over beautiful Oahu in a Jeep, visiting hair salons. 


I also never thought that I would tire of the jet-setting lifestyle. 
BUT I DID. . . 

Once I had Jackson, my life was turned upside-down. I saved and saved and saved my pennies while I was pregnant, to prepare to take the maximum (unpaid) leave. I enjoyed every second of that time being a new mom. All of a sudden I knew what was most important, and I spent the final days of my maternity leave DREADING going back to work. Not only because I would miss soaking up the smell of my new favorite man . . . 
but also because I knew that my job would take me away from him, at least twice a month. 
What was once something that I ate, slept, and breathed, quickly became a trivial, yet necessary part of my busy life as a single mom, with a single income. 

THIS is what is important

In the past year and a half, I have made a positive upward move in my career, while maintaining the balance I have carefully created between traveling and spending time with my incredible little boy. 

I could NEVER have done this without the help of my friends and family, and most importantly . . . 
my dear cousin Shelby.
She has been caring for Jackson, in my home and in hers, since he was just 3 months old. I can maybe count on one hand, how many times he has cried when I leave for work. He is constantly learning new signs, and has some incredible manners.
This has EVERYTHING to do with how much he adores "his Shelby".
Whether I am gone for the day, or gone for a few, I know that Jackson is having a blast because I get regular picture updates, and we Skype to say goodnight.
I could not imagine having to leave him, if it weren't for Shelby. 



So this Mother's Day, my thanks goes out to the young woman that is helping me mother my child when I cannot be there. 
We LOVE You, Shelby!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Awful Blessing . . .

You read that right . . . The past several months have literally been LIFE ALTERING. I am, however, choosing to look at this situation that I find myself in as a gift that I am not allowed to open. YET.  A gift that I KNOW is there. I don't yet know what it is.  I don't yet know how I will use it.  I don't yet know if it will fit.  I don't yet know if it's what I've always wanted. No amount of shaking the box, or tossing out guesses wi ll clear up the mystery.  So I wait.   I will admit that th ere are times when I wonder who I am, now that I am not "Jen with Alterna" . . .  or "Jen with Aloxxi".  Now I am just Jen with Jackson This 'gift' may not have been my choice, but this much I know . . . I have gotten to spend almost  1/2 of my son's second year/ bonding and just hanging out with him. I would not trade that for ANYTHING in the world.  I have come to know the generosity of others in im

Cloth V.S. Disposable . . . It's not just about the environment

So here I was again, pregnant with my son and trying to wade through the virtual piles of research I had compiled on diaper options. You would think this would be a super easy decision . . . but I was a Crunchy mom-to-be in a world full of Cashmere and Silk. As a matter of fact, before I joined my Bradley Group, I only knew one person cloth diapering . . . and she is over 500 miles away. Thank you 'neighbor'. You know who you are, and you know I love ya ! This is what I knew * Cloth is better for the environment - Less waste in the landfills * I really wanted to make cloth work, long before I found out I was pregnant * My son is worth all the hard work. 'Wait . . . how hard will it be?" * Baby butts wearing a cloth diaper are simply ADORABLE !   This is what I was told *"Cloth diapers smell so bad, even when they are just wet" *"It is so much easier to use disposables" *&q

I May Be Single, But My Life Is FULL . . .

"Oh, you're single? I'm sorry" "You just haven't met 'the one' yet" "Don't be so jaded . . . not every man is bad" "Don't worry, there is a soul mate for everyone" "You WILL find love again, when you least expect it" "You really need to think about a male role model for Jackson" "What are you going to do when Jackson leaves home?" "Your son can't be your best friend" "Don't you get lonely?" Among others, these wonderful sentiments have all been offered to me over the past few years, since before I had Jackson.  While I know that every single one came from a place of love . . .  I cannot help but feel a little judged.  Here is the deal.  There is no need to be sorry for assuming that I am married.  I am not at all worried about finding a soul mate.  I do NOT think that all men, or even most men are jerks.  As strange